A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away .. a book by Princess Leia floated into the atmosphere..
Okay, well it wasn’t that long ago and not that far away, but on Wednesday, my current book was feeling a bit too heavy and I needed a one night break. Walking past a shelf by the office kitchen, I stopped to browse the back of Carrie Fisher’s autobiography Wishful Drinking – a mere 162-paged hilarious book full of pictures and (as per the flap copy suggested) “the crazy truth that is her life”. Not only am I not a huge Star Wars person, but I hardly knew anything about Carrie Fisher and who she was. Now, however, I am quite the expert.
This book was insane, sad and hilarious, all tied up in two little buns! I was caught laughing out loud multiple times on the subway and definitely got a few of those looks (yeah, you know exactly what I’m talking about). Regardless, I’m pretty sure I can make you want to read this in a few small points:
1. Carrie is the product of Hollywood’s Sweethearts gone wrong. Actress Debbie Reynolds (from Singing in the Rain) and crooner Eddie Fisher were married just long enough to have two kids before a tragic accident lead to Eddie leaving Debbie for Elizabeth Taylor (who also happened to be a close friend)! Trust me, this story is a twisted one.
2. Carrie addresses what it was like (and the awkward situations arising from) being the most fantasized-about woman for nerds worldwide.
“Oh my God! I thought about you every day from when I was twelve to when I was twenty-two.”
And instead of asking what happened at twenty-two, I said, “Every day?”
He shrugged and said, “Well, four times a day.”
Welcome to the land of too much information.
3. Her father accidentally eats his own (wildly expensive) hearing aids! Now this story was the one that had me howling on the subway. A detailed account of how this came to be is the perfect way to bring you back to life after the crowded, mind-numbing half hour subway ride to and from work.
4. Her mother bought her and her grandmother a very specific erotic toy for Christmas! The rational of why it is the perfect stocking stuffer is definitely worth a read. Christmas IS coming! Just joking..
5. Even through all her crazy stories, Carrie is a warm person. Her pride in her daughter, one of the only things she thinks she did truly well, is extremely touching. She is honest about all the insane events that occurred in her life and open about the fact that, although she knows it is different from the lives of most people, it was all she ever knew.
Carrie’s book is also a one woman show that aired on HBO!