• RSS

Monday, November 21, 2011

Chalet in the Forest

Some people are cottage folk, like myself.  I don't necessarily dwell in a small cottage in the woods, but every summer for the majority of my life, my family has been going up to Muskoka for a week.  My uncle owns a beautiful cottage out there with a log cabin feel.  Since I can remember, this has been one of my favourite places to read.  My mom, best friend and I would being stacks of books and plow through one a day sitting on the dock or stretched out on the couch by the fireplace.  I absolutely adore it.

So this weekend, for one of my boyfriend's longtime friend's birthdays, twelve of us headed up to his parents cottage home in Saint Sauveur (about an hour outside of Montreal).  The first thing you think of when you see this place is: cottage?!  Two stories and perhaps bigger than my parents home two times over, this "cottage" is perhaps the most massive structure I have ever spent the night in.  Now I realize that it has been wrongly named and is indeed a "chalet".  Although I have been there twice before, I am always shocked by the beauty of its architecture.  The living room on the main floor displays exposed beams which you can see standing from the balcony of the second floor.  Next to that, the entire wall is windows, right up to the angled peak of the house.  One of the guys girlfriends and I, who have become friends over the past few years, ran up to the second floor to take pictures.  My previous visits were normally in the day time and seeing all the lights on inside with laughter and muffled voices sweeping through the rooms, it felt so much more alive.


And I couldn't help thinking .. what a great place to curl up and read!

3 comments:

Yaseena said...

looks nice!

Natalie said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I love spending time at the cottage as well! Nothing better then a nice lake view and a beach to lay on while you are reading a great book!

Reabookreview said...

popping over and saying hello and thankyou for the comment on my blog xx

Post a Comment