• RSS

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hardcover Blues

Books are all about the story, but when you fall in love with books as physical objects TOO, it makes things more difficult.  As a teen and in my early twenties, my book buying method consisted of going to Chapters, browsing the backs of books and finding one that suited my mood.  I stayed away from hardcovers because I knew I couldn`t afford them anyways.

Now, because of Goodreads, being in the industry and a part of a tremendous blogging community, my book buying methods have been altered significantly.  Now, I know about a book I want to read before it is even released and suck it up when I have to purchase the hardcover for $20-35.  If I bought one book a month, it wouldn`t matter as much -- but this is not the case.

So now, as Christmas nears and I feel selfish just thinking about buying myself a book, I am feeling the hardcover blues.  Tomorrow, my boyfriend and I leave on a train to Montreal for a few days, will train back, and then drive to my family`s home in Niagara.  All that traveling a moving around will require reading material and although I have tons of books to read already, a spectacular review of Anna Dressed In Blood from the Nocturnal Library has me counting my pennies.  Then I stop when I notice it is in hardcover and Shatter Me is in paperback.  Though Anna Dressed In Blood seems more my thing, the extra $9 and weight of the book actually has me reconsidering.  Shatter Me has been on my to-read list for ages, but when I noticed it was in paperback, I decided -- yes, I would buy it!

Knowing I have to travel and transport gifts as part of my luggage, toting around a few hardcovers seems a pain.  I also miss the malleability of a paperback and the ability to pull the covers wide open and dive right into the text.  I always find myself fumbling with the hardcovers more.  Though this stuff really shouldn`t matter -- it is starting to!  Hardcovers are beautiful on the shelf, but this doesn`t mean much to me at all.  I will proudly display a torn up paperback just as easily as a pristine hardcover.

I know the answer to the problem would be an eReader and though I have tried, it just doesn't do it for me!  I am a paper lover through-and-through.  What about you?  Do you have a preferred reading format?

3 comments:

Ikhlas said...

Awww, you're so cute Chelsey :) I know that feeling too...hardcovers really do weigh you down. Both books sound intriguing (I just saw you mark Anna dressed in blood as 'to read' on Goodreads!), so I have no calculative method to give you. :(

But have fun on your trip to Montreal, ma cherie! I hope you're able to pick one. :)
xoxo

Natalie said...

I actually prefer hardcovers! Although they can be super heavy I love the fact that they are slightly more durable then paperbacks. I usually wait for some kind of sale though before I dish out the cash to buy a hardcover....unless its a book that I am dying to read! And I am definitely a paper lover as well! Reading on a device just isn't the same as turning the pages of a book and being able to physically see how far you've read. Have fun in Montreal :)

Yaseena said...

I'm on the fence really. Like Natalie I love the durability of a hardcover, and Chels you know that I am OCD about keeping my books in perfect condition lol so the hardcover helps with this, although I read in bed more than anywhere else and trying to prop a hardcover up while I'm sleepy can be a pain. Its seems like more and more YA is coming out in hardcover too which can be annoying, especially when you're halfway through a series that you started in paperback and then the new ones come out and they are all in hardcover - oh the insanity - haha makes my head spin sometimes with all the decision making. I spent a good half our yesterday trying to decide which version of the next two nightshade books I wanted and still haven't decided :P

Have a great time in Montreal - say hi to our city for me :)

Post a Comment