• RSS

Friday, December 2, 2011

The Realm of Magic Not JUST For Kids!


(Please note that this post is also featured on the YA Simon blog for Simon & Schuster Canada.)

You don’t have to be a kid to fall into magic realms.  I was reminded of this the other day when The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe played on CTV on Monday night.  I spent the whole movie wondering why I had never read the Narnia books, or any other “other worldly” kids books.  I somehow skipped The Golden Compass and was too old for The Spiderwick Chronicles.  Or was I?

Last night, I crawled into bed with The Fantastical Serial Edition of the Spiderwick Chronicles; a gorgeous 600-paged book consisting of the first five books in the series and tons of bonus content (including some stunning sketches showing the birth of the characters from Tony DiTerlizzi himself).  I adore Holly Black’s writing and have heard so much about Tony, so I just had to give it a shot.  I felt immediately transported back to the excitement I had as a kid, diving into another place, time and world.  Tony’s drawings are intricate and absolutely beautiful.

When you are a reader, your imagination is like a sixth sense.  It comes naturally to let it wander into unknown areas, but to be guided through them by a storybook mastermind is such a pleasure!  I’m already looking forward to heading back to Spiderwick tonight!  My next big trip is to WondLa and you’re more than welcome to join!


  



0 comments:

Post a Comment