• RSS

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sorry -- I've been reading!

So last Friday, around 5 pm, my internship with S&S Canada finished and (yes, I'm a cryer), I had to bolt out to avoid being overly emotional about leaving.  In the twelve weeks I have spent with S&S, I had grown to feel like part of the team, made a few friends, gained some serious respect for the people I met, and learned more than you can possibly imagine.  Over the course of the internship, I accumulated some wonderful books from going to events, meeting authors and working on campaigns.  Now, as the search for work begins, I have some great books to keep me company while I look for that perfect publishing position!  Here is a fun picture that was taken during my time with S&S at the IFOA kick off party.  Pardon my frumpy look -- those pants and I don't have the best clothing/wearer relationship.  Regardless, Margaret and I had a wonderful time together.



Yesterday, I promised myself I would spend the day cleaning my apartment, which looks like it has been hit by the Christmas tornado -- and I love it!  After writing over thirty Christmas cards for co-workers, my couch is covered in the glitter from the cards.  But, as I got dressed to start my day, I decided 8:30 am was too early to work and I deserved some time to read.  A few hours later, I was so into my book that I wanted to talk about it and who else to chit chat with than one of my closest friends, Yaseena.  Yaz has been in Ireland for the past 4 months, so Skype has been our saving grace.  After a 5 1/2 hour Skype date (we had a LOT to catch up on!), I finally cleaned the house.  Then got back to my book..

You know when you haven't loved a book in a while and then all of a sudden, you're reminded of why you love to read so much?  Not that I wasn't enjoying my other books, but I was never really able to dive into them because of busy work and personal life schedules.  Now, with some spare time on my hands, I am devouring Alma Katsu's debut novel, The Taker.  Though warned by some that it is quite dark and at times gruesome, I wanted to judge for myself.  I cannot put this book down!  The writing is wonderful, engaging and the story is so twisted and creepy that there is no good place to stop reading!  For all of you who like gothic and eerie reads, this is for you!  Though not for the faint of heart -- there are some graphic scenes.  Click here for the Goodreads synopsis.  Also, check out the trailer here!  There are also videos of Alma talking about the book that are totally worth watching! 


3 comments:

Ikhlas said...

So good to hear what you've been up to, Chelse! I've been feeling the same way about the books I've been reading lately, so I know the feeling of awe when you finally find one that makes you want to stay up into the wee hours of the night. (Phew, that was a long sentence!)

Good luck on your search!! :)
xoxo

Natalie said...

I love hearing about the updates in your life! I can only begin to imagine how amazing your time at S&S was! And The Taken sounds like a really interesting book! Part of the synopsis reminds me of The Gargoyle for some reason...I'll have to check it out when I have time

PS Love the Atwood picture hahahaha!

Chelsey said...

Thanks Ikhlas! I hope you find something good to read soon!

And Nat, it does actually have a Gargoyle feel! But this one is a lot to do with obsession -- which doesn't really get communicated through the synopsis. But similar! I'm loving it =).

Post a Comment