• RSS

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wrapping up the year

This is one of those good news/bad news posts.  Let's start with the bad and get it over with.  I, Chelsey, am ashamed to confess that I was totally off my game this year with reading.  After finishing my degree, graduating, going to Humber, graduating, doing my internship and then frantically getting ready for the holidays, I really didn't have as much time as I hoped to read.  A lot of the books I read were required for school or work and my own choices hung out on the back burner.  I have read a sad total of 28 books this year -- and for someone as obsessed as myself, that is a pitiful excuse for a number.  By the end of this month, I will have at least two more finished (blowing through them as we speak) but still, 30 books?  Really?

So, the good news!  I have a few goals for January!  Here we go!
  1. Read 60+ books in 2012!  I am a bit of a slow reader, so for those who are quick, this might look like a minuscule number -- but for me, it's quite ambitious.  I would normally go with 50, but I have a bunch of children's books that I would love to read (Peter Pan, The Secret Garden, The Search for WondLa, etc..) so those will probably take up the extra 10!
  2. Of those 60, read at least 3 classic novels.  Right now Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter, Rebecca and Gone With The Wind are all on my shelf and I really need to get going on those ones!
  3. Make at least half of the books I read ones I pick off my own shelf!  I have WAY too many books and for every book I read, I probably get at least 5 more.  I don't go to Chapters and go nuts, believe me, I can't afford that, BUT I do take the liberty to attend all booksales I know of and am a bit of a fan of bookfinder.com.  SO -- I will tackle my own shelves this year!
  4. Don't be a genre brat.  This year, I discovered YA again.  When I was a younger teen, YA was really not that great.  By the time I was 14, I was already in the adult section and never really went back.  Then this year, I read Vampire Academy in January and the rest of my year was spent catching up on all the amazing books I missed out on as a teen.  Now, this year, although I will most definitely still be reading YA, I want to get back into other genres that I love: biographies, horror and fiction.  Maybe even branch out and read some non fiction and sci-fi/fantasy?  Romance even?
And that is all for me!  I can't wait to get a better start on this year.  I refuse to finish 2012 with the measly number I had this year.  Do you have any goals for 2012?!

1 comments:

Hannah said...

You're going to love Rebecca!!!! I love duMaurier, she's a fantastic writer. Good luck with your 2012 reading challenge, I'm aiming big this year and going for 200, but that's only because I'm about to start my degree in Literary studies (I get to study YA novels! Oh heaven is a place on earth!!), and I plan on reading way more this year too!

Post a Comment