• RSS

Saturday, January 28, 2012

In My Mailbox

In an attempt to keep my blog as professional as I could, I stopped doing "memes" for a while.  However, every Sunday when I wake up, my immediate action is to check all my favourite blogs to see what fabulous books my blogger friends bought or received over the week and what reviews I can look forward to reading in the upcoming days.  I also get overly excited about my books and wish I could share them too -- so I will!

 
  This week I began my new internship with Hachette Book Group Canada.  As I was shown around the office by my new coworkers, I spotted a box of the new paperback editions of Tina Fey's praised memoir Bossypants.  I was given a copy to read and enjoy over the weekend and for anyone who loves 30 Rock or the multitude of movies Fey has written, produced or starred in, you will not be disappointed.  I am about halfway through now and have probably read 80% out loud to my boyfriend, laughing to the point that he didn't understand what I was saying anyway!  Expect a blurb/review sometime this week!

Also, I had a nice surprise last week when I came home on Sunday night.  My boyfriend's brother, who also lives with us, is a flight attendant for Air Canada.  In the past year, he has flown all over the world and our apartment is full of his unique findings from various countries.  He recently spent a few days in London, England and asked if there was anything he could bring back for us.  I immediately asked if he could try and find the UK edition of A Discovery of Witches.  My dear friend Yaz is living in Ireland and is currently reading this edition.  When she showed me on a Skype date, I fell a little bit in love.

When I got home from visiting my parents on Sunday, on our bed was an adorable tote bag from London.  In it was my book and a few ties for my boyfriend.  I am so excited and can't wait to dive into the book and to carry around my tote bag.  For some reason, I was equally excited about the tote... but the book has that amazing feel -- when it's almost like it belongs in your hands.  Love!


Next to all of this, I got a special package from my friend Ikhlas.  During the summer, Ikhlas and I were constantly talking bookmarks between our classes at Humber.  One day, she made me a lovely dark bookmark to go into all the dark fiction I loved.  A few weeks ago, I misplaced it and begged her to send me a replacement.  Although I did eventually find the previously mentioned bookmark,  I also received a card with three new bookmarks from her!  Thank you Ikhlas -- they are all so lovely!


Have you read either of these books?  Hope you all had a wonderful book week! 

(In My Mailbox is a weekly feature hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren.)

9 comments:

Natalie said...

What an exciting book week :D And those bookmarks are gorgeous! Ikhlas is very talented! I'm glad you are doing IMM again! I LOVE hearing about the books you have received!

Lynsey Taylor said...

Great books. I've never seen that particular cover for A Discovery of Witches before!

Lynsey @ Urban Fantasy Book Reviews
http://urbanfantasybookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-29th-january-2012.html

Mary-Sweet Bookshelf said...

Oh I've been wanting to read Tina Fey's book. Looks hilarious!!!! Love your Primark book bag!

lisa [the nerd] said...

Congrats on the new internship! That sounds like a DREAM.

Bossypants was the best. SO funny and full of self-deprecating wit and humor and was just the bee's knees. LOVE Tina Fey!

Alison Can Read said...

Great set! I really want to read Discovery of Witches. Enjoy!
My IMM

Ikhlas said...

Love the tote you got! I'm obsessed with all things British, so I'm very excited for you :D

And awwww thanks for posting about my bookmarks! They look so pretty :D hehehe ^_^

Maja said...

I've never seen that cover od The Discovery. It looks better than the blue one.
Oh, sorry about The Space Between, I read like a crazy person (a speed demon, Lisa says), so I operate under the assumption that everyone else does too.
And if you keep up with those comments, I'll have to rent another apartment for my ego. :D

Btw, don't bother with Blood Rights. The first book is good, the second and the third are really not.
How's Tina Fey?

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

Oh I so want to read Bossypants! I love Tina Fey, she is absolutely hilarious. And I've heard a little bit about Discovery of Witches, not sure if it's for me though. Great haul!! Thanks for stopping by :)

Lisa O. said...

That edition of A Discovery of Witches is really pretty. Is your boyfriend's brother also pretty? :D
Thanks for stopping by!

Lisa O. @ The Nocturnal Library

Post a Comment