• RSS

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Treasures

As a child, I always loved books, but as a teen, they became a lifestyle.  My childhood best friend Amanda and I used to go to Chapters once a week, buy ourselves a book, read it, come back and discuss them over Starbucks, then pick up a new one.  I can't even count how many of these trips we took.  Even after university pushed us into different provinces, we would meet up to browse bookstore shelves and email our thoughts to each other after.  One particular night in high school, we bought little notebooks together.  Mine is a beat up palm-sized book with a rose and a fake bird on it, dated November 4, 2006.

In it, I proceeded to do what Goodreads now does for me.  I would write my to-read list, the date I started a book, the date I finished it, what I thought and my favourite quotes from it.

Last night, I found this book.  I was reminded of a bunch of books I adored as a teen -- mainly Douglas Coupland books.  I wanted to share a few quotes I wrote in the book -- ones that made me beam when I re-ead them.  Ah, so good!

We had quietly settled into a premature autumn of life - no gentle mellowing or Indian summer of immense beaut, just a sudden frost, a harsh winter with snows that accumulate, never to melt.  In my head I wanted to thaw the snow.  I wanted to reorder this world.  I did not want to be old before my time.
- Girlfriend in a Coma (Douglas Coupland)

Youth is the time of life lived for an imaginary audience.
- Girlfriend in a Coma (Douglas Coupland)

Forget sex, or politics, or religion.  Or even failure.  Loneliness is what clears out a room.
- Miss Wyoming (Douglas Coupland)

Our life is made up of time.  Our days are measured in hours, our pay measured by those hours, our knowledge is measured by years.  We grab a quick few minutes in our busy day to have a coffee break.  We rush back to our desks, we watch the clock, we live by appointments.  And yet time eventually runs out and you wonder in your heart of hearts if those seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades were spent the best way they could have possibly been.
- Where Rainbows End (Cecelia Ahern)

The heart is resilient, I mean literally.  When a body is burned, the heart is the last organ to oxidize.  While the rest of the body can catch flame like a polyester sheet on a campfire, it takes hours to burn the heart to ash.  My dear sister, a near-perfect organ!  Solid, inflammable.
- Skinny (Ibi Kaslik)

1 comments:

Natalie said...

Awesome! I remember all the little doodle pages you would do in English class with your favourite quotes on them. They were so cute! And you were the one who introduced me to Douglas Coupland! I LOVED Hey Nostradamus! One of my favourite quotes from that book is kind of silly, but it is engrained within my mind....

“Jason said, "Yes. Gerard T. Giraffe."
What does the 'T' stand for?"
'The.”

Post a Comment