• RSS

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Lover's Ball Recap

Ahh *happy sigh*.  The Book Lover's Ball.  I don't even know where to start with how fabulous the whole evening was.  Being a volunteer was an eye-opening experience for me.  This was the first "event" I have seen be built from the ground up and brought to life in a matter of hours.  The night before, myself, my new friend Nabila and a few other ladies met up at the Fairmont Royal York to help put together the gift bags for the guests.  Six HUNDRED gift bags.  Three hours later, we headed home, having accomplished this:


The next morning, we were all back for 8:45am to start setting up.  Though the Royal York is beautiful already, the events team, Hala Events, turned it into the most glamourous venue I have seen in ages!  Tables, a stage, a red carpet, everything -- felt a little like I was prepping for the Grammys.  I almost melted when I was given the task of placing the authors books on their tables.  Putting Ami McKay, Lawrence Hill and Margaret Atwood's books on tables, knowing in a few mere hours, the people I have thought of as celebrities my whole life will be sitting right here, made me giddy like a child. 



When the event actually started, I helped check in the guests right at the foot of the red carpet.  Everyone looked absolutely fabulous from authors to publishing personnel to sponsors to TV personalities.  As dinner neared, I snuck into the silent auction room where I could mingle with other volunteers stationed there and catch sight of the authors as they slowly made their way to dinner.  I stood across a table from Jeanne Beker, slipped past Kevin O'Leary while he took a picture with a fan and even shook the hand and spoke with one of my literary favourites, Lawrence Hill and his lovely wife Miranda (highlight of my evening). 



One of the major attractions of the night was the Sweet Fix table.  A television show similar to Cake Boss actually made a cake out of books from authors in attendance.  My pictures won't do it justice but seriously -- this cake was AMAZING.  Camera people taped us almost all day, prepping and moving things around, and I am embarassed to say that I was caught yawning with one of the men pointing the camera directly at me.  Dear Sweet Fix people: please cut that.  I have no idea where to find where the show will air but once I do, I will post it here!  (See the picture at the bottom -- the small book pile is a real example of the books, the larger one is the cake!)



And that was my Book Lover's Ball experience!  One word: fabulous.

2 comments:

Ikhlas said...

Wow that sounds like SO much fun Chelse! I'm so jealous :D

Natalie said...

Definitely seems like it was an amazing night! Even though you were volunteering and didn't get to actually enjoy the festivities themselves I can only imagine how much fun it would be! Super cool you got to talk to Lawrence Hill too! And I will definitely want to see that episode of Sweet Fix when it comes out!

Post a Comment