• RSS

Sunday, March 11, 2012

In My Mailbox (4)

So, normally I wouldn't write a post for just one book, but this week, I kind of have to.  During my shift at Indigo on Wednesday morning, a lady asked to speak with my manager.  On my way to the back, she called out, "It's Sue, from Scholastic!"  Since the past year of my life has been devoted to beginning my career in publishing, the chance to speak to anyone from a publishing house gets me way too excited.  After her talk with my awesome store manager, Lori, Sue came to the front desk and proceeded to break my weekly book buying ban by telling me all about Scholastic's newest YA release, ABOVE.  I walked out of work with this book in my purse for the following reasons:


1) Leah Bobet is CANADIAN!  What book loving Canadian would ever pass up the chance to support one of our own in a genre that we love... eh?
2) The CN Tower is featured on the absolutely gorgeous cover.
3) Though it is categorized as YA, Sue assured me that the literary tone of the book reads almost adult.  A "crossover" title like this has a widely scoped audience and will resonate with teens and adults alike.
4) It is blurbed by Emma Donoghue!
5) Sue's enthusiasm was undeniable.  I could not listen to that lady speak about this book with such passion and NOT pick up a copy.

Yes, covers and plot lines sell books, but if you really want to get excited about something, let a book lover tell you about it!

I also received a few fabulous ARC's this week (eeeek!) but I am going to save that for a vlog in a few weeks!  Hope you all had a fabulous book week!

(IMM is hosted by Kristi @ The Story Siren)

9 comments:

Jade @ Chasing Empty Pavements said...

ABOVE!! I'm SO jealous right now!!! I want this one so badly!

Ikhlas said...

Wow, what a gorgeous book cover! And omg that sounds so exciting :D Reminds me of our Humber days hehehe :)

Chapter by Chapter said...

I got ABOVE in my mailbox this week too! I can't wait to read it :D Yay Canadians!
Happy reading :)

MaryAnn
Chapter by Chapter

Shae Carcar said...

The cover is so beautiful!
Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

Lena said...

The cover is very pretty!!!!! Enjoy it!!! My IMM is http://ilovebooksclub101.blogspot.com/2012/03/in-my-mailbox-8-its-exciting-one.html

Elisa said...

I've been interested of Above since thr first I saw the cover with interesting summary. I can't wait to see what you think about this :D
Happy reading and thanks for stopping by ;)

Mimi Valentine said...

"What book loving Canadian would ever pass up the chance to support one of our own in a genre that we love... eh?" <-- BEST. LINE. EVER!! x) LOL as a book loving Canadian too, I'm so excited to get my hands on that one! Every single thing I've heard about it so far has been positive, so I can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

Amazing mailbox this week, Chelsey! I really hope you love it! <3

Hannah said...

I'm not a book loving Canadian, but I am a book loving Aussie, so I understand the feeling!! And I love that someone could be so passionate about a book as well!!! Looking forward to your vlog!

Natalie said...

AMAZING! I always wondered if that was the CN tower on the cover when I first saw this book. Super cool to know that the author is Canadian though! That makes me even more excited to read this one myself! :)

Post a Comment